Prevent House Fires in Queens – Tips That Can Save Your Life
Stay Safe in Queens by Being Proactive in Preventing Fires
California, Texas and New York rank highest for fire deaths in the United States. Over one-fourth of all fires are residential. Many Queens fires are preventable if you follow proper safety protocols.
What Should I Do to Prevent a Fire?
Fires can strike at any time, in any home. With a fire comes destruction and often loss of much of your home. This also means you need fire damage cleanup in Queens. But many fires can be prevented. According to Total Fire & Protection, the Fire Department of New York City (FDNY) gets calls for approximately 2,200 structural fires each month. They also state,
“This number is staggering, especially considering that many landowners ignore measures that could reduce the risk of fires in their homes.”
Fire prevention is not difficult. It requires very little of your time or money, but it can go a long way in saving you in both of those areas. Here are safety precautions SERVPRO recommends:
• Smoke Alarms – Every home should have several smoke alarms. A monthly test should be performed to ensure the alarm is operating correctly. Replace batteries yearly and replace the smoke alarms every ten years.
• Open Flames – Never leave open flames unattended. Candles, fireplaces, and gas kitchen stoves are all examples of things you should never walk away from.
• Dryers – Maintain your dryer by cleaning it regularly. Clean the lint trap after each load. Dryer fires from built-up lint is a common source of house fires.
• Household Chemicals – Keep combustible products away from sunlight and heat sources. Store them away from the main living area, if possible.
• Wiring – Do a regular check of household wires and cables. If they become frayed, worn out, or otherwise damaged, they can become a fire hazard. Replace damaged wires immediately.
If you do experience a fire, don’t attempt to clean up the damage yourself. SERVPRO’s professional technicians understand fire damage cleanup and the mitigation required to return your home to preloss condition. Contact SERVPRO of Long Island City at (718) 440-6994. We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster.